Following on from the launch of Untitled, the 10-year strategic vision for contemporary visual arts in the region, the North East Contemporary Visual Arts Network (NECVAN) is seeking voluntary members to join its Advisory Group, which will help NECVAN to deliver Untitled by providing strategic knowledge and expertise. This is an exciting opportunity to inform and influence NECVAN’s work and play an important role in strengthening the sector.
Untitled – a strategy for visual arts in the North East
The North East is known for its vibrant, distinctive and growing visual arts offer, and Untitled aims to build upon this by identifying areas of untapped potential, building sustainability and resilience, and raising the region’s profile as a vibrant centre of excellence for the visual arts. Using Untitled as its foundation, NECVAN is now looking to develop initiatives that support the strategy across the following themes:
· Bringing the network together - For example by using events and training to facilitate exchange of information and learning.
· Making more visible - Raising the profile of contemporary art and artists in the region, for example by improving press and publicity and providing opportunities that shine a light on existing work.
· Using the strength of the network to advocate - The size of and variety of organisations and individuals that our network represents gives it strength. We will seek to use this strength to advocate for visual arts with a view to influencing policy.
As an Advisory Group member you will help us to explore and develop these themes, identifying ways for NECVAN to play a significant role and add value to the sector.
NECVAN is a regional, sector-led network of individual artists, curators, writers and over 60 visual arts organisations delivering critically engaged contemporary visual art. It represents the entire North East region, stretching from Teesside up to the border of Scotland. NECVAN’s purpose is to strengthen the contemporary visual arts sector so that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It is committed to driving the agenda for the visual arts in the region and unifying the sector through individual and collective ambition.
NECVAN is part of the national Contemporary Visual Arts Network (CVAN), a consortium of over 1000 artists, arts professionals and arts organisations in England that connects people working in the visual arts with each other, and with professionals in other fields regionally, nationally and internationally in order to share information, ideas and resources. CVAN’s ultimate goal is to nurture contemporary visual artists and organisations in order to produce internationally regarded, critically engaged work that is valued by our society.
Advisory Group Member responsibilities
As an Advisory Group member you will be expected to:
· Attend quarterly meetings and serve a minimum of two years
· Actively contribute your expertise to the development of NECVAN initiatives
· To advocate for and champion NECVAN with current and potential stakeholders, sponsors and the wider visual arts sector
· Be available for advice to support NECVAN to develop and deliver its initiatives
· To advise and support fund raising and income generation for future NECVAN programmes and initiatives
· To advise on ways to strengthen and enhance the Network for the benefit of the visual arts sector
You will be active and well informed in North East and national visual arts activity and enthusiastic about using your knowledge and expertise to influence change and explore opportunities for strengthening the sector. We would be particularly interested to hear from practicing artists (early-career, mid-career and established artists are welcome), individuals with a link to higher education, and people who will bring wide-ranging experiences and a commitment to our vision. We are keen to reflect and represent the diversity, geography and practice of the visual arts sector in the North East and welcome applications from any age, experience or background. Please note this is a voluntary, unpaid role, however reasonable travel costs to attend meetings can be reimbursed.
Current Advisory Group members
Sarah Munro – BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art
Alistair Hudson – Middlesbrough Institute for Modern Art
Charlotte Gregory – The NewBridge Project
Alistair Robinson – Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art
Peter Taylor – Berwick Film and Media Festival
How to apply
To apply please write to us answering the following questions one side of A4:
1. What do you see as the key challenges facing the visual arts in the North East?
2. What do you feel you can bring to the network?
3. What would you like to see change or develop in the North East Visual Arts sector?
Your answers should be accompanied by a short biography and CV. Please email your applications to email@example.com by 9am on Tuesday 1 August 2017 stating NECVAN Advisory Group in the subject line.
For further information on the Advisory Group or NECVAN, please contact Adrienne Cassidy (Network Manager, NECVAN). Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0191 4404906.