A small-scale, artist-led research and development initiative by Nicola Smith, We Are Resident is offering a micro-research residency supported by Tampere Artists’ Association, Finland specifically for an artist whose family or personal circumstances limit participation in normal residency opportunities.
A Finnish artist accompanied by partner and two children will be in residence at Islington Mill, Salford in October 2016. These two residencies contribute to action-based learning supported by Arts Council England, which is designed to formulate a new family-friendly residency programme.
What is it?
Either a one week residency in Finland between 22nd July - 31st July or a two-week residency between 1 September – 14 September, 2016* providing free living space and studio for a visual artist based in the North West of England working in any medium, to pursue their own artistic research.
• Fee for research, materials, evaluation: £500
• Travel: up to £950
• Incidental expenses: up to £150
• Requests for special access costs up to £150 can be considered provided these are stated in the artist’s application
• Accommodation is free, supported by Tampere Artists’ Association
How to apply:
• CV tailored to this opportunity (max 2 A4 pages) showing your eligibility for this opportunity with qualifications (as relevant), exhibitions, commissions and residencies, your full contact details including address, email and telephone number and the full name, title and contact details of a professional who knows your work well and is willing to provide a written reference if required.
• Up to 8 images in total (pasted into a maximum 2 A4 pages) of recent work that demonstrates your research interests.
• 250 word description explaining why this residency is important for you to undertake and how it relates to your artistic practice.
• 250-word description of who will be accompanying you and how you envisage spending your time and resources available during the residency
Application and deadline:
Please send all elements of the application combined into ONE pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org with We Are Resident application in the email title by 12 noon 2nd May 2016. The successful applicant will be notified by the 16th May. Please note that in order to preserve the budget for the residencies, no feedback will be provided to unsuccessful applications.