We are seeking proposals from artists and/or designers to create a new work in the landscape at Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park. This is an opportunity to develop a new work, which is significant, high profile and inpactful. We are interested in a piece that may be an ‘eye-catcher’ (a piece that will attract attention), which is participatory, surprising or inventive and which responds to the history/heritage of the landscape or even using the lake. We hope it to be imaginative, high-impact, and a must-see ‘destination’ piece.
Through this commission we also hope to deepen historic understanding and enjoyment of Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park and to prompt enquiry and new ways of looking at the site, via a 21st century response to its history, building upon its unique architectural, art and design led identity.
• The commission presents an opportunity to make new work to be presented in the historic landscape at Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park.
• The work will be semi-permanent, but to last no less than 3 years in the landscape.
• The commission will be installed at Compton Verney.
• The work can be an interventional, physical, sculptural, performative, sound piece and/or light based.
• Artists should assume that there are no storage facilities for the work at Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park.
• An exciting and aesthetic interest to the grounds.
• In addition to the commission we are looking to run a high profile, popular, engaging and experiential series of events/activities/workshops.
• Where possible the work should be site-specific.
• To attract more people to site and help drive ambitious visitor targets.
o To engage our existing audiences (categorised as follows: Commuterland Culturebuffs, Dormitory Dependables, Home and Heritage, Metroculturals and Experience Seekers)
o Engage new audiences to visit Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park (Trips and Treat category)
o For more information about these defined categories please visit: https://www.theaudienceagency.org/audience-spectrum
• To increase awareness of Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park.
• To make a lasting impression on long after visitors have gone (art has the power to make a lasting impact on the world and our society).
• To increase the reach of Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park’s distinctive/ innovative programme.
• Stimulate debate about contemporary public art in a historic rural environment.
• To respond sensitively and imaginatively to Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park’s site/historic setting.
Role of the maker/artists:
• To create a work for the grounds, which could be anything including interventional, physical, transportational, sculptural, performative, sound piece and/or light based.
• To install the commission (with the support of Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park’s team where required).
• To work to the given specified budget provided by Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park.
• Liaise and work directly with the Curator and other Compton Verney staff (such as the Learning Team and HLF project team) throughout the duration
of the project.
• To work with Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park regarding seeking planning permissions, should they be required.
• To work with Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park on the events and participatory side of the project.
• To work with Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park on the marketing side of the project.
• To inform Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park should any issues arise regarding the project.
• To work with Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park to provide additional interpretation.
• To be responsible for maintenance of the work, should issues arise.
• To speak at a staff briefing on the project, attend press day and associated events if/when required.
• The work will be insured by Compton Verney House Trust during installation on site and whilst on display, subject to an agreed maximum value.
• The artist will need to have their own public liability insurance.
• Artists fee
• Production and installation costs
• Transport/delivery of work
TOTAL BUDGET: £45,000
[Please note an additional budget held by Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park has been allocated to cover the following: project consultation, marketing, engagement, interpretation, insurance and planning permissions]
To apply, please submit an ‘Expression of Interest’:
• A very short proposal outlining your ideas for a new work/s, your interest in Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park, and how you meet the brief above.
• A CV and artist statement
• Up to 6 images/details of previous work
The deadline for submissions is 9am on Monday 15 February 2016.
Please submit your application via email or post to:
Post: Penelope Sexton, Curator, Compton Verney, Compton Verney House Trust, Warwickshire, CV35 9HZ
N.B. If you would like to discuss the project before submission or have any queries please do not hesitate to contact Penelope Sexton on 01926 645540 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 15 February 2016